MORE THAN JUST A PIECE OF WOOD… PEACE OF MIND.
More than just wood products… Peace of mind for you and your customers.
Environmental Leadership begins with self-actualization. It is a decision of conscience. As a consumer, am I going to preference sustainable resource based products and those companies or brands that have demonstrated a verifiable commitment to sustainability initiatives?
Sustainability: Reasonable cost to you – low cost to the environment
Too good to be true? Not really. Many of Coastal’s product lines are available at a similar price as comparable grades. When sourcing wood products, we require that each piece is clear and straight, minimizing sorting and waste. Coastal’s product lines are actually less expensive over the life of any outdoor construction project.
Coastal Forest Products works closely with government agencies, sawmills and foresters from all over the world to ensure that the products we carry are sustainably managed. Many of Coastal’s product lines are regenerated either naturally or by seeding and replanting and are third-party certified as having been produced from legally harvested logs in compliance with all international laws and regulations pertaining to the harvest and trade of both temperate and tropical forest products.
Coastal Forest Products remains committed to the protection and preservation of the world’s valuable timber resources and is pleased to bring the benefits of these unique timber products to you.
Coastal Forest Products has a demonstrated commitment to transforming markets towards ecologically sensitive models not only through the promotion of naturally renewable resource based woods products but also through the development of and participation in programs dedicated to achieving forest sustainability and raised social consciousness. Coastal Forest Products is also committed to the education of the design and specification communities on the environmental benefits of natural wood products through AIA/CES membership and participation (hyperlink AIA/CES to continuing education).
- Through our Timber Holdings USA division we are founders of the Green By Nature Environmental Leadership and Compliance Program
- Through our Timber Holdings USA division we are also founders of the Fields To Forest Tropical Reforestation Program: Rehabilitation of denuded and degraded forest lands into well-managed community owned forests and plantations.
- We support TFF (Tropical Forest Foundation): Implementation of low impact logging programs
- Developed a third party Verification of Legal Origin and Verification of Legal Compliance program with Unifloresta, a third party Environmental NGO.
- Participants in CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of wild fauna and flora): Regulation of certain wood species that starts before they become endangered. It is an international system based on documentation that demonstrates legal acquisition and sustainable production.
- Coastal Forest Products’ Iron Woods® brand was recently used in the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry’s Smart Home: Green + Wired exhibition.
We take many additional steps to help protect and preserve the worlds forest resources by promoting the use of forest products. Here are some more of the things we do:
- Coastal Forest Products does not trade in any forest products derived from a species listed in the CITES (Convention on the International Trade in Endangered or Threatened Wood Species) Appendices I, II, or III.
- Coastal Forest Products preferences products that have been value added at their point of origin in support of local communities.
- Coastal Forest Products utilizes independent inspection and grading services to verify that all materials sold under the Iron Woods® brand name are produced from legally harvested logs and in compliance with all international laws and regulations relating to the trade of timber products.
- We preference third-party certified, reclaimed, and salvaged materials when available.
- Coastal Forest Products and Timber Holdings USA certifies Lacey Act compliance. This act prohibits trade in wildlife, fish, and plants that have been illegally taken, possessed, transported or sold.
Green by Nature – Build with Conscience
Iron Woods® brand products have an environmental reputation you can build on…
All of Coastal’s Iron Woods® products have been verified of legal origin and verified of legal compliance as being, legally harvested, transported, exported, imported and documented in compliance with all country of origin, international and domestic laws, rules, regulations and treaties pertaining to the fair and legal trade of forest products including but not limited to the ITTA (International Tropical Timber Trade Agreement), CITES (Convention On The International Trade of Endangered Species) U.S. Department of Agriculture Lacey Act, U.S. Department of Justice Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and U.S. Buy American Act.
All Iron Woods® products are derived from forests which are naturally occurring, renewable and sustainable and are not harvested from forests or forest plantations where traditional, civil or intellectual property rights have been violated, forests having high conservation values which are threatened, forests that have been genetically modified or forests which have been converted to non-forest use. Iron Woods® are sourced with a preference to those forestry operations implementing LIL (Low Impact Logging) techniques and sustainable forest management practices.
All Iron Woods® products are 100% organic and grown without the use of chemical fertilization and are regenerated naturally or by seeding and replanting. All Iron Woods® are either kiln dried or fumigated and are free from invasive insect or plant species. The natural service life of Iron Woods®, exceed their natural growth cycle, trap and store carbon and are able to be reclaimed, reused or recycled. Iron Woods® do not require for service any petroleum based or inorganic chemical treatments adhesives or coatings. Iron Woods® do not require for service any specialized handling storage or disposal procedures and generate zero post-industrial or post-consumer non-biodegradable waste. Iron Woods® are also safe for human and animal contact, meet Low VOC emission standards and meet International Building Code, International Residential Code and Cal Fire Wildlife Urban Interface Code requirements for naturally durable wood.
Products carrying the ‘Green By Nature™ ‘Build with Conscience’ Certificate of Compliance meet a comprehensive set of Controlled Wood, Chain of Custody, Life Cycle Impact and Due Care Standards, Policies and Procedures that support environmental sustainability initiatives as follows….
There is a reason why the National Audubon Society has repeatedly chosen Iron Woods® for use in its boardwalks. Timber Holdings established our Green By Nature…Build with Conscience Environmental Compliance Program. Green By Nature promotes the environmental benefits associated with the use of naturally durable wood products. By setting compliance standards which address ‘Life Cycle Environmental Impact’ of a material from cradle to cradle, domestic and international laws, regulations and third party certification programs pertaining to the legal harvest and trade of timber products.
Our Fields To Forests Tropical reforestation Program was founded in an effort to provide our customers with the opportunity to voluntarily participate in forest sustainability initiatives by helping rehabilitate forest lands which had been denuded and degraded for agricultural purposes into productive well managed forest plantations. Since the program’s inception over 10,000 trees have been planted.